As the saying goes, I stand on the shoulders of giants.
I always like to leave a little insight for other designers that hints to what tools or other sites I used as inspiration for this site. As most of you will understand, good designers imitate others as they continue to grow and develop their own style: the purpose of this section is to really hit that home.
I didn’t come up with this fantastic site on my own, I pulled inspiration from a variety of other sources.
Here they are:
- The Oscend Template: This template heavily influenced the section titles and the blog and archive pages.
- The Blake Theme: The design of my navigation, header, and footer were influenced by the Blake theme. I personally believe that these guys design some of the best WordPress themes out there!
- Bill Erickson’s Homepage: The overall site feel was influenced by Bill’s site. I really enjoyed the simplicity of this site, and wanted the same feel on mine.
- The Locomotive Design Agency: Although I disagree with their interstitial, I leaned on a very similar aesthetic in my site.
- Mark Manson’s Blog: I really enjoyed how easy it was to read his blog, so I based a ton of my blog formatting on his site.
There’s also a bunch of other frameworks that hold my site together. Without them, the site would be nowhere near as sexy:
- Bootstrap, for responsive design and other design heuristics.
- Owl Carousel, for the flashy “Recent Work” section on the homepage.
- Moment.js, for the opt-in CTA that you see towards the bottom of every page.
- Animate.css provides a ton of the neat animations that you see throughout the site.
Like many budding designers out there, I used to be totally overwhelmed when I saw another designer’s site, thinking that I could never do the same.
So with that in mind, I’d like to leave you with this: although this site is fucking fantastic, please simply remember that I did not build it alone. 🙂